Friday, November 18, 2005

Unsubstantiated claims

Carl Sagan said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Perhaps that's why Kathleen Harris ordered a ordered a study that water blessed by a Rabbi would cure citrus blight. Wonder why this study got government funding? Could it be as the article claims?

Florida's citrus crop contributes billions of dollars to the state's
economy, so when that industry is threatened, anything that might help is considered.

I was curious, so I did a little more digging (if you can call putting some key words in google and then reading through results digging) and found this site with these claims:


Harris had a keen interest in the project. She was repeatedly sent copies of the letters and memos bouncing between Florida canker officials and Hardoon

Why would she take such a keen interest? Could it be because "Harris [is] the granddaughter of legendary citrus baron Ben Hill Griffin Jr."? Something she loved, the citrus industry, was threatened, and her judgement was clouded, making her vunerable to the con of charlatans?

This is the very thing I'm trying to avoid in myself. I never want to be one of those old people who are conned, so I'm working to keep my mind logical and sharp. It's already too late to use my former plan of dying young (effective but draconian).

Ok, that's all more sillyness than actual belief. I love logic, and deplore superstition, and any belief based not based in factual evidence.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

since when is everything not backed by factual evidence superstition? What ever happened to opinion and intuition?

2:26 AM  
Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

When it's backed by public funds to support a special interest, I expect some science behind it. Call me silly, but holy water doesn't seem like a good investment.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home