Friday, March 24, 2006

round trip sleepless

Tonight I will drive to S.F. airport, turn around and drive back. I've been hitting the coffee, but I'm still feeling tired. Somehow I'll make it. It's to help a family in need that helped us when Peggy was dying. She has to fly with her 5 year old and 10 year old to her husband's sentencing in Virginia, which is almost certain to be postponed because the court does that regularly. Drug laws and enforcement is tragically absurd. Putting a father in prison for 15 years for trying to provide for his family by providing a significant population segment with what they crave, it's sad. Another case of he's done nothing wrong, he just broke the law. So I'm saving their family the cost of a one way rental because they couldn't get flight out of Arcata/Eureka airport (in McKinleyville). Their flight leaves at 7, so we're aiming to get there around 5am. To save the hotel cost, we'll drive all night, then I'll drive back. I've got a book on tape to pass the driving time, and hopefully keep my mind off her. Sheesh, should I even post this? Yes says the extroverted self.

5 Comments:

Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'm heading down to Frisco this morning, myself. Hopefully be out of town around 9am. The wife is supposed to get out of the hospital today so I have to take all the stuff she needs in her apartment down there.

I'll be in a blue ford f150. I'll wave if I see ya.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

We passed each other on the road, somewhere around Garberville I'm guessing. I was home by 11:15. I promptly went to sleep and got up around 6. Safe travels.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I think you're crazy to drive there and back non- stop. At least I spent the night, and still felt like shit the next day.

Made it home on Sunday in record time, though; just under five hours. Left SF at a bit past 8am and got to my house about ten minutes before 1pm.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

I think it's well established that I'm crazy. Fortunately, I'm currently symptom free. I tried to sleep on the way home, but it just wasn't going to happen. I'm an insomniac. I got home and slept for 6 hours and woke up feeling great. You must not have gotten hung up at confusion hill. I hit it right as the north bound was let through. The southbound was a long line of cars. That is one messy stretch of highway.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yeah. On the way down I figured it would be controlled at Confusion Hill because, as I got down toward Piercy, whole convoys of vehicles were heading north. I knew they must be letting people through in groups.

I was about the fourth vehicle in my group at the roadblock and had to wait maybe twenty minutes or so.

On the way back I was at the end of the "convoy" with maybe three cars behind me. Only had to wait maybe ten minutes.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home